Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I broke up with Obama

Dear Barack,

I liked you. I really did.

Then you fell in with the wrong crowd. You know who I'm talking about. That Donnie McClurkin fellow, a gospel singer who believes Jesus delivered him from homosexuality. I know he has a Grammy, and it's easy to get wrapped up in these things, but you didn't believe him, did you? Then why did you invite him to perform at one of your fundraisers? I assumed it was a phase and eventually you'd come out of it.

We all make mistakes, honey. I just wanted to hear you say you're sorry. (Really, I wanted you to fire a staffer, but a dozen roses or a box of chocolates would have been fine.) But then The Advocate told me what you'd told them:

One of the things that always comes up in presidential campaigns is, if you’ve got multiple supporters all over the place, should the candidate then be held responsible for the every single view of every one of his supporters? And obviously that’s not possible. And if I start playing that game, then it will be very difficult for me to do what I think I can do best, which is bring the country together.


And I fell for you all over again. It wasn't sorry, but I knew what you meant, in that special language that the two of us share.

And you made a new friend! Reverend Andy Sidden, a gay preacher! I like him. He's nice. I thought you might be coming around.

But what happened, Rocky? Why did you let Donnie say all those mean things at your recital? Why didn't you let Andy say anything more than a short prayer? Why did your aides hand out memos with the following statement:

MCCLURKIN DOES NOT WANT TO CHANGE GAYS AND LESBIANS WHO ARE HAPPY WITH THEIR LIVES AND HAS CRITICIZED CHURCH LEADERS WHO DEMONIZE HOMOSEXUALS


I understand that you don't agree with McClurkin about everything. And I understand that politics is all about compromise, but why the all-caps? Everything else I can accept, but when you let lolcatz proofread your press releases, I don't think you can manage a successful campaign, much less a country.

It's over.

Yours,
Let's Get Paul

No comments: